Legal Help Do You Need Legal Help?
Professional Are You a Legal Aid Professional?
Attorney Are You an Attorney Who Can Help?
West Virginia Floods & Storms 2017
West Virginia Floods & Storms 2017
West Virginia Severe Storms, Flooding, Landslides, and Mudslides (DR-4331) devastated areas in West Virginia on June 28-29, 2017. The President made the Major Disaster Declaration on August 18, 2017.
For DR-4331, the June flooding, Individual and Household Assistance is available to those in Harrison, Marion, Marshall, and Wetzel Counties.
Disaster Legal Services has been implemented for this flooding in West Virginia. The hotline number below applies to this activation. It is provided through FEMA under 44 CFR 206.164
Note: THE FEMA APPLICATION DEADLINE IS OCTOBER 17, 2017. Apply to FEMA to trigger the SBA Disaster loan process. THE SBA APPLICATION DEADLINE WAS ALSO OCTOBER 17, 2017.
Key resources for those affected by the flooding:
West Virginia Disaster Relief Hotline: 1-877-331-4259
- SBA Disaster Loans are available for those who qualify.
- Free legal assistance available to storm survivors through a partnership between the West Virginia State Bar, ABA- Young Lawyers Division, Legal Aid of West Virginia, and FEMA. Please see the press release for more information.
- Information to assist disaster survivors with general legal issues can be found by contacting Legal Aid of West Virginia or calling the state legal disaster hotline 877-334-4259.
- West Virginia Severe Storms, Flooding, Landslides, and Mudslides (DR-4331)
- 2017 West Virginia Flooding- assistance from the nonprofit United Policyholders about Insurance Claims and recovery this can still provide useful information, or see their main page.
- Disaster Unemployment Benefits are available, even for self employed individuals. The DEADLINE for those in the impacted counties is JULY 27, 2016.
- Tax Relief for Victims of Storms, Flooding, and Mudslides in West Virginia. This means, that for impacted people and businesses, many deadlines have been extended to November 15, 2016.
- West Virginia Attorney General Office
- FEMA Disaster Recovery Center Locator
- American Red Cross Shelter Locator
- West Virginia's Office of the Governor
- West Virginia Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management gives further information about this disaster and state programs available.
- FEMA Disaster Reporter: view pictures of the disaster either in a list view or off a zoomable street level map.
Residents and businesses affected by the June flooding can apply for government disaster relief benefits online at http://www.disasterassistance.gov.
THE DEADLINE TO APPLY TO FEMA IS OCTOBER 17, 2017 FOR DR-4331. YOU MUST PUT IN YOUR SBA APPLICATION BY OCTOBER 17, 2017 TO RECEIVE A LOAN OR ADDITIONAL ASSISTANCE.
Individuals, including those who use 711 relay or VRS, can call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) while those who use TTY can call 1-800-462-7585. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. EDT seven days a week until further notice.
- If you need to appeal a FEMA denial on your own, please see here to get an interactive form to appeal and letter requesting a copy of your file. Free legal help is available at 800-504-7030.
- You can also find resources on this site under For People Who Need Help.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest on the News page.
Other helpful resources to help address legal needs resulting from this disaster:
- Help After a Disaster: FEMA's Guide for the Individual Applicant