Legal Help Do You Need Legal Help?
Professional Are You a Legal Aid Professional?
Attorney Are You an Attorney Who Can Help?
Pro Bono Opportunities Guide
City Bar Justice Center
To Volunteer, Contact:
42 West 44th StreetNew York, NY 10036
- Map: maps.google.com
- Phone: 212-382-4713
- Fax: 212-221-5318
- Website: http://www.citybarjusticecenter.org/do-pro-bono/
The City Bar Justice Center (CBJC) is the largest department of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York Fund, Inc., the philanthropic arm of the New York City Bar Association. CBJC increases access to justice by leveraging the resources of the New York City legal community. Drawing upon our relationship with the City Bar, CBJC provides legal assistance to those in need; mobilizes lawyers, law firms, corporate legal departments, and other legal institutions to provide pro bono legal services; educates the public on legal issues; fosters strategic relationships; and impacts public policy.
A longtime leader in providing pro bono legal services in New York City, from spearheading the legal response to 9/11 to developing innovative solutions to the emerging legal needs of low-income New Yorkers today, CBJC matches over 1,100 pro bono attorneys with clinics and cases each year across a wide range of matters including immigration, bankruptcy, end of life planning, veterans disability, homelessness, micro-entrepreneurship, and homeownership preservation. Pro bono volunteers with CBJC participate across the range of our dozen civil practice areas and assist with everything from conducting intake and providing brief services at legal clinics, to taking on discrete individual matters or special projects. The attorneys who direct CBJC’s projects assign pro bono volunteers to matters that have been vetted in advance, provide volunteers with all requisite substantive training, and remain available throughout the duration of an assignment for mentoring, troubleshooting, and strategic advice to ensure that volunteers’ work proceeds as smoothly as possible. You can read more about the City Bar Justice Center's pro bono programs here.
You can read more about the City Bar Justice Center's pro bono programs here.
- County(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: All NYC, Bronx, Kings (Brooklyn), NY (Manhattan), Queens, Richmond (Staten Island)
- Area of law: Community Development, Consumer, Debt/Credit/Bankruptcy, Disaster and Crisis Assistance, Elder Law, Foreclosure, Health, Homeless, Housing, Immigration & Naturalization, Public Benefits, Veterans, Insurance & Employment Discrimination related to Cancer Diagnosis
- Populations Served: Asylum Seekers, Detained individuals, Domestic Violence Victims, Elderly, Human Trafficking Survivors, Immigrants, Individuals who are not in legal immigration status, Low Income, Micro-enterprises, Military/Veterans, State Residents, Torture survivors, Women
- Opportunities For: Lawyers, Small and medium law firm attorneys
- Need for non-English services: Chinese, French, Haitian Creole, Russian, Spanish
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Flexible
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: Yes
- Training Provided: Yes
- Training Required: Yes
- CLE credit for trainings: Yes
- CLE credit for pro bono: Yes
- CLE pro bono comments: Find more information online at http://www.citybarjusticecenter.org/do-pro-bono/
- Mentoring or supervision offered: Yes
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: Yes