Legal Help Do You Need Legal Help?
Professional Are You a Legal Aid Professional?
Attorney Are You an Attorney Who Can Help?
Pro Bono Opportunities Guide
Volunteer Lawyers Project of CNY, Inc.
To Volunteer, Contact:
Sally Curran(315) 579-2576
221 South Warren StreetSuite 200Syracuse, NY 13202
- Map: maps.google.com
- Phone: 315-471-3409
- Fax: 315-939-1466
- Website: http://www.vlpcny.org
The Volunteer Lawyers Project of CNY's mission is to provide access to justice through engaging the legal community in volunteer service to those in need. Founded in 1991 by Onondaga County Bar Association, VLP has over 500 attorney and law student volunteers. We provide pro bono opportunities ranging from brief consultations and court-based pro se assistance to ongoing full pro bono representation. We always welcome new volunteers.
- County(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: Onondaga
- Area of law: Civil Rights, Community Development, Consumer, Disability, Disaster and Crisis Assistance, Education, Elder Law, Family & Juvenile, Health, HIV/AIDS, Homeless, Housing, Immigration & Naturalization, Life Planning, Nonprofit Organizations, Public Benefits, Taxes, Veterans, Reentry
- Populations Served: Asylum Seekers, Children, Communities of Color, Detained individuals, Domestic Violence Victims, Elderly, Farm workers, General Public, HIV, Human Trafficking Survivors, Immigrants, Individuals who are not in legal immigration status, Individuals with criminal histories, Individuals with physical/mental disabilities, Juveniles, Lesbian, gay, bisexual & transgender, Low Income, Military/Veterans, Native Americans, Nonprofits, Persons with Disabilities, Prisoners/Criminal Defendants, State Residents, Torture survivors, Women, Working poor and unemployed
- Opportunities For: Interpreters, Law school clinic, Law Students, Lawyers, Mentors, Mentors/consultants, Nonlitigation Projects, Paralegals, Senior Lawyers
- Need for non-English services: Arabic, Chinese, French, Spanish
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Evenings, Flexible, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm, Weekends
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: Yes
- Training Provided: Yes
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: Yes
- CLE credit for pro bono: Yes
- Mentoring or supervision offered: Yes
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Types of projects in need of Pro Bono help: Client counseling (e.g., brief advice), Draft legal documents (e.g., briefs), Hotline staffing, Litigation: Trial/Direct Representation, Mentor volunteer lawyers or law students, Prepare legal education materials
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: Yes