Legal Help Do You Need Legal Help?
Professional Are You a Legal Aid Professional?
Attorney Are You an Attorney Who Can Help?
Pro Bono Opportunities Guide
Volunteer Lawyers for Justice
To Volunteer, Contact:
PO Box 32040Newark, NJ 07102
- Phone: 973-645-1955
- Fax: 973-645-1954
- Website: http://www.vljnj.org
- Email: email@example.com
Volunteer Lawyers for Justice (VLJ) provides comprehensive legal services to economically-disadvantaged adults, children and families in New Jersey through the services of dedicated pro bono volunteers. Volunteer opportunities are available in a full range of civil legal areas and range from limited-scope legal clinics lasting a few hours to full representation.
VLJ welcomes volunteers from all regions of New Jersey and with all levels of legal expertise. VLJ understands the immense demands placed upon an attorney's time and has designed a full array of pro bono programs to meet the interests and time constraints of our volunteers.
•Adult guardianship (uncontested)
•Bankruptcy (Chapter 7)
•Criminal record expungement
•Driver's license restoration
•Insurance (disaster related issues)
•Unemployment (disaster related issues)
•Wills and estates (drafting)
- State(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: New Jersey
- Area of law: Consumer, Debt/Credit/Bankruptcy, Disaster and Crisis Assistance, Education, Elder Law, Employment, Family & Juvenile, Housing, Prisoners, Public Benefits, Veterans, Adult guardianship (uncontested), Bankruptcy (Chapter 7), Criminal record expungement, Driver's license restoration, Estate administration, FEMA, Insurance (disaster related issues), Unemployment (disaster related issues), Wills and estates (drafting)
- Populations Served: Children, Communities of Color, Elderly, General Public, HIV, Low Income, Military/Veterans, Persons with Disabilities, State Residents, Women, Working poor and unemployed
- Opportunities For: Law Students, Lawyers, Mentors, Nonlitigation Projects, Paralegals, Senior Lawyers
- Need for non-English services: Portuguese, Signers for the deaf: ASL, Spanish
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Flexible
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: Yes
- Training Provided: Yes
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: Yes
- Training / Supervision Comments: Attorneys in New Jersey may claim an exemption from mandatory court-appointed pro bono cases if they have provided 25 or more hours of voluntary pro bono service through VLJ. Waiver of court filing fees.
- CLE credit for pro bono: No
- Mentoring or supervision offered: No
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Types of projects in need of Pro Bono help: Client counseling (e.g., brief advice), Draft legal documents (e.g., briefs), Legal Research, Litigation: Trial/Direct Representation, Mentor volunteer lawyers or law students, Transactional work
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: No