Legal Help Do You Need Legal Help?
Professional Are You a Legal Aid Professional?
Attorney Are You an Attorney Who Can Help?
Pro Bono Opportunities Guide
Memphis Area Legal Services
To Volunteer, Contact:
Cindy Cole Ettingoff523-8822 Ext. 421.
22 N. Front Street11th FloorMemphis, TN 38103
- Map: maps.google.com
- Phone: 901-523-8822
- Fax: 901-843-6789
- Website: http://www.malsi.org/
Memphis Area Legal Services (MALS) is the principal provider of civil legal assistance to low-income individuals and the elderly in Southwestern Tennessee, anchored by Memphis, Shelby County, with three other counties, Tipton, Fayette, and Lauderdale, comprising its four-county service area. MALS has two offices - one in downtown Memphis, which serves Shelby County, and the Covington office that serves the three smaller rural counties.
The Memphis legal community is blessed with an abundance of attorneys who are interested and willing to donate their time and talents to those less fortunate and contact us to offer their help. The Pro Bono Projects of Memphis Area Legal Services consist of a variety of volunteer opportunities for attorneys, paralegals and law students.
- County(s) of Volunteer Opportunity: Fayette, Lauderdale, Shelby, Tipton
- Area of law: Community Development, Consumer, Debt/Credit/Bankruptcy, Disability, Disaster and Crisis Assistance, Elder Law, Family & Juvenile, Health, Housing, Life Planning, Nonprofit Organizations, Public Benefits, Veterans
- Populations Served: Low Income
- Opportunities For: Law Students, Lawyers, Mentors, Paralegals, Senior Lawyers
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: Yes
- Training Provided: Yes
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: Yes
- CLE credit for pro bono: Yes
- Mentoring or supervision offered: Yes
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Types of projects in need of Pro Bono help: Client counseling (e.g., brief advice), Draft legal documents (e.g., briefs), Litigation: Trial/Direct Representation, Mentor volunteer lawyers or law students
- Long Distance Opportunities: Draft or Translate Legal Documents
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: Yes