Legal Help Do You Need Legal Help?
Professional Are You a Legal Aid Professional?
Attorney Are You an Attorney Who Can Help?
Mississippi Storms Flooding 2015
Mississippi Storms Flooding 2015
Severe storms, tornadoes, straight-line winds, and flooding devastated areas in Mississippi from December 23 to December 28, 2015. The President made a major disaster declaration for Mississippi on January 4, 2016.
For DR 4248, the December storms and flooding, Individual and Household Assistance is available to those in Benton, Coahoma, Marshal , Quitman and Tippah Counties.
Disaster Legal Services has been implemented for these tornadoes, storms and flooding in Mississippi. The hotline number below applies to this activation. It is provided through FEMA under 44 CFR 206.164
Note: THE FEMA APPLICATION DEADLINE IS MARCH 4, 2016. Apply to FEMA to trigger the SBA Disaster loan process. THE SBA APPLICATION DEADLINE IS ALSO MARCH 4, 2016.
Key resources for those affected by the flooding:
Mississippi Legal Assistance Hotline: 1-877-691-6185
- SBA Disaster Loans are available for those who qualify.
- Free legal assistance available to storm survivors through a partnership between the Young Lawyers Division Disaster Legal Services Committee of The Mississippi Bar in conjunction with FEMA, the American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency and the North MS Rural Legal Services. Please see the press release for more information.
- Information to assist disaster survivors with general legal issues can be found by contacting North Mississippi Rural Legal Services or calling the state legal disaster hotline 1-877-631-6185.
- Mississippi Severe Storms, Tornadoes, Straight-line Winds, and Flooding (DR-4248)
- Mississippi Flooding- assistance from the nonprofit United Policyholders about Insurance Claims and recovery
- Disaster Unemployment Benefits are available, even for self employed individuals. The deadline is February 4, 2016 to apply. See this news article for more information.
- Tax Relief for Victims of Severe Storms, Tornadoes, Straight-line Winds and Flooding in Mississippi. They will have until May 16, 2016 to file their 2015 tax returns and other forms/payments which had been due April 15th.
- FEMA Disaster Recovery Center Locator
- American Red Cross Shelter Locator
- Mississippi Office of the Governor
- Mississippi Division of Emergency Management gives further information about this disaster and state programs available.
- FEMA Disaster Reporter: view pictures of the disaster either in a list view or off a zoomable street level map.
Residents and businesses affected by the December storms and flooding can apply for government disaster relief benefits online at http://www.disasterassistance.gov.
THE DEADLINE TO APPLY TO FEMA IS MARCH 4, 2016. YOU MUST PUT IN YOUR SBA APPLICATION BY MARCH 4, 2016 TO RECEIVE ADDITIONAL ASSISTANCE.
Individuals, including those who use 711 relay or VRS, can call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) while those who use TTY can call 1-800-462-7585. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. EDT seven days a week until further notice.
- If you need to appeal a FEMA denial on your own, please see here to get an interactive form to appeal and letter requesting a copy of your file.
- You can also find resources on this site under For People Who Need Help.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest on the News page.
Other helpful resources to help address legal needs resulting from this disaster:
- Help After a Disaster: FEMA's Guide for the Individual Applicant
FEMA Helps Mississippi January 9, 2016