Legal Help Do You Need Legal Help?
Professional Are You a Legal Aid Professional?
Attorney Are You an Attorney Who Can Help?
Michigan Flooding 2014
Severe storms and flooding devastated areas in Michigan on August 11, 2014.
Individual and Household Assistance is available to those in McComb, Oakland, and Wayne counties.
Note: THE FEMA APPLICATION DEADLINE IS DECEMBER 14, 2014. Apply to FEMA to trigger the SBA Disaster loan process. Also, The deadline to return economic injury applications to the SBA is June 25, 2015.
Key resources for those affected by the flooding:
Michigan Disaster Relief Hotline: 1-844-451-0749
- SBA Disaster Loans are available for those who qualify.
- Free legal assistance available to storm survivors through a partnership between the Michigan Bar Association and their Young Lawyers Section, ABA- Young Lawyers Division and FEMA. Please see the press release for more information.
- Information to assist disaster survivors with general legal issues can be found by contacting the Legal Aid and Defender Association, Inc..
- Michigan Severe Storms and Flooding (DR-4195)
- FEMA Disaster Recovery Center Locator
- American Red Cross Shelter Locator
- Michigan's Office of the Governor
- Michigan's Division of Emergency Management gives further information about this disaster and state programs available.
- FEMA Disaster Reporter: view pictures of the disaster either in a list view or off a zoomable street level map.
- The Fox Detroit News page, which gives updated information about flood events.
Residents and businesses affected by the August flooding can apply for government disaster relief benefits online at http://www.disasterassistance.gov.
THE DEADLINE TO APPLY IS DECEMBER 14, 2014.
Individuals, including those who use 711 relay or VRS, can call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) while those who use TTY can call 1-800-462-7585. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. EDT seven days a week until further notice.
- If you need to appeal a FEMA denial on your own, please see here to get an interactive form to appeal and letter requesting a copy of your file.
- You can also find resources on this site under For People Who Need Help.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest on the News page.
Other helpful resources to help address legal needs resulting from this disaster:
- Help After a Disaster: FEMA's Guide for the Individual Applicant