Legal Help Do You Need Legal Help?
Professional Are You a Legal Aid Professional?
Attorney Are You an Attorney Who Can Help?
Resources for Legal Aid Professionals
Disaster Manuals and Trainings
Responding to Specific Disasters
Legal Aid of Nebraska Disaster Relief Project Disaster Guide By Legal Aid of Nebraska in 2016, as part of their multifaceted suite of resources for Nebraskans
Agricultural Disaster Resources, 2016, By Legal Aid of Nebraska.
Legal Aid of Arkansas 2014 Disaster Assistance Manual By Legal Aid of Arkansas, in conjunction with the Arkansas Bar Association and the Young Lawyers Section, along with other community partners. A resource for attorneys providing pro bono legal assistance to the victims of natural disasters.
Morrison and Foerster Helping Handbooks
Includes nine handbooks: Northern California Fires Helping Handbook, available in English and Spanish (2017), Hurricane Sandy (2012), New York Flood Helping Handbook (2006), Hurricane Katrina Handbook (2005), Southern California Wildfires Helping Handbook (for 2003, 2007, 2008), and 9-11 Helping Handbooks for Families and Small Businesses (2001).
Recovering from Tornadoes and Other Natural Disasters: Your Legal Rights
By Legal Services Alabama for people affected by natural disasters. Based on experience with tornadoes, hurricanes, and oil spills in Alabama. Updates range from 2011-2013.
Disaster Relief Legal Assistance Manual
Written by Legal Services NYC with contributions from The Legal Aid Society. Compiled in response to Hurricane Sandy. November 2012.
Mitigating Disaster: Lessons From Mississippi
Written by Karen Lash and Reilly Morse. Published in The Mississippi Law Journal. Based on experiences in Mississippi responding to Hurricane Katrina.
General and State Disaster Resources and Manuals
- Disaster Legal Services Training Manual
- Training manual by the ABA and FEMA on the FEMA/YLD disaster hotline partnership. June 2016.
- Social Media Disaster Toolkit for a Legal Non-Profit. This has been prepared for your use by the LawHelpNY.org. It is also available in an ebook version here.
- Surviving a Disaster: A Lawyer's Guide to Disaster Planning by the ABA Committee on Disaster Response and Preparedness
- Providing Legal Assistance in the Aftermath of Disaster 2015 - Released on Sep 28 2015 by the Practicing Law Institute
- Disaster Planning for Your Legal Aid Technology Archived webinar by LSNTAP. June 2007.
- Florida Legal Assistance Disaster Manual by the Florida Bar Foundation. Comprehensive disaster planning manual for a state legal services community, updated June 2014.
- Iowa Legal Aid A web page of disaster resources published by Iowa Legal Aid.
- Iowa DNR Disaster Overview
- Emergency/Disaster Training Manual for Volunteer Lawyers by the Louisiana State Bar Association. June 2011.
- Louisiana Disaster Plan for Legal Assistance by the Louisiana State Bar Association Access to Justice Committee. Updated July 2015.
- Maryland Disaster Legal Assistance Program Manual by the MSBA-YLS Disaster Relief Committee
- Mississippi Disaster Legal Assistance Reference Manual by the Mississippi Bar Young Lawyers Division. Updated Spring 2016.
- Missouri Legal Services Disaster Manual
- Tennessee Disaster Manual by the Tennessee Bar Association Young Lawyers Division. A guide for volunteer attorneys providing legal assistance to victims of disasters. Updated October 2014.
- Nebraska Disaster Guide by Legal Aid of Nebraska. Updated October 2016.
- North Carolina Disaster Recovery Guide by the NC Office of the Governor and the Office of State Budget and Management from 2015.
- Volunteer Attorney Disaster Training Manual by the State Bar of Texas
- Utah Disaster Legal Response Manual by the Utah Bar Disaster Legal Response Committee. 2015.
- Vermont Volunteer Lawyer Disaster Legal Assistance Services Manual by the Vermont Bar Association
- Long Term Recovery Guide by the National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster. 2012
- FEBRUARY 20, 2018, 9am-12pm EST: FEMA Program Basics Training - FEMA, in collaboration with voluntary partners, has put together a series of webinars on FEMA topics to educate Long Term Recovery Groups. Topics include: Appeals, Small Business Administration (SBA), Routine Use & Privacy Act, Duplication of Benefits, Invitational Travel, AmeriCorps Mission Assignment Phase 3, Crisis Clean Up, Health & Human Services Disaster Case Management, CAN- Coordinated Assistance Network. Click here to register.
- Puerto Rico Disaster Relief 2018: FEMA Appeals by LatinoJustice PRLDEF & Storm Response Unit, New York Legal Assistance Group
Puerto Rico Disaster Relief - On-demand seminar with an overview of some of the key post-disaster legal issues, as well as best practices. Presentation covers insurance coverage issues arising from Hurricane María, federal disaster relief programs, and labor and employment issues.
- Insurance Issues After a Disaster by United Policyholders
- FEMA Appeals, Recoupment and Other Issues for Disaster Survivors by Storm Response Unit, New York Legal Assistance Group
- Helping Disaster Survivors Retain or Qualify for Government Benefits by Bay Area Legal Aid
- Maintaining Food Security: Disasters and Household Misfortunes - a webinar by FRAC about D-SNAP and pitfalls to avoid.
- Flood Proof- an app to clear title for those in Louisiana
- Trauma Stewardship: Beyond the Cliff, with Laura van Dernoot Lipsky See the TED Talk or read more here: http://traumastewardship.com/watch/#ted.
- Disaster Related Identity Theft Victimization and Fraud (a 90 minute webinar from the National Identity Theft Victims' Assistance Network) from July 15, 2013
- SNAP in the Aftermath of Disaster- Advocacy and Outreach Best Practices This is a webinar is cosponsored by Food Research and Action Center (FRAC) and AARP Foundation from July 18, 2013.
- Leveraging Social Media and SEO for Online Disaster Outreach. A social media toolkit for non profits to use in and during a disaster. From LawHelpNY.org. 2014
- Ten Trends in Online Disaster Outreach- a PowerPoint from a 2014 presentation by LawHelpNY about what they observed through their disaster online outreach, social media campaign and information about using tools in connection with social media.
- ABA-YLD FEMA Training 2014- this is the joint training for the ABA-YLD Disaster Legal Services District Directors.
- FEMA held a White house webinar July 29, 2014 showcasing disaster technology innovations of use to individuals.
- Disaster Legal Services in NY and NJ Post-Sandy : Collaboration and Communities- a presentation by Pro Bono Net Staff highlighting the legal response to Superstorm Sandy from the "Service After the Storm" event organized by AmeriCorps members and sponsoring organizations on August 8, 2014.
- Rising Tides Rising Costs- Flood Insurance and NYC's Affordability Crisis September 2014- a report from the Center for NYC Neighborhoods
- Views of Recovery- Ten Years After Katrina and Rita- a report from LSU on differing views on how the recovery is progressing at the ten year anniversary
The Disaster Legal Aid National Advisory Group consists of experts in disaster legal response from the Legal Services Corporation, American Bar Association, legal services organizations and law schools. If you are a pro bono or legal services attorney working on a disaster-related case, the Advisory Group is here to help! Please visit the Advisory Group page for information on the group, group members and how to contact the group with inquiries.