Legal Help Do You Need Legal Help?
Professional Are You a Legal Aid Professional?
Attorney Are You an Attorney Who Can Help?
Resources for Legal Aid Professionals
Disaster Manuals and Presentations
Responding to Specific Disasters
- Legal Aid of Nebraska Disaster Relief Project Disaster Guide By Legal Aid of Nebraska in 2016, as part of their multifaceted suite of resources for Nebraskans.
- Agricultural Disaster Resources, 2016, By Legal Aid of Nebraska.
- Legal Aid of Arkansas 2014 Disaster Assistance Manual By Legal Aid of Arkansas, in conjunction with the Arkansas Bar Association and the Young Lawyers Section, along with other community partners. A resource for attorneys providing pro bono legal assistance to the victims of natural disasters.
Recovering from Tornadoes and Other Natural Disasters: Your Legal Rights
By Legal Services Alabama for people affected by natural disasters. Based on experience with tornadoes, hurricanes, and oil spills in Alabama. Updates range from 2011-2013.
Disaster Relief Legal Assistance Manual
Written by Legal Services NYC with contributions from The Legal Aid Society. Compiled in response to Hurricane Sandy. November 2012.
Morrison and Foerster Helping Handbooks
Includes seven handbooks: Hurricane Sandy (2012), New York Flood Helping Handbook (2006), Hurricane Katrina Handbook (2005), Southern California Wildfires Helping Handbook (for 2003, 2007, 2008), and 9-11 Helping Handbook (2001).
Mitigating Disaster: Lessons From Mississippi
Written by Karen Lash and Reilly Morse. Published in The Mississippi Law Journal. Based on experiences in Mississippi responding to Hurricane Katrina.
General Disaster Resources and Manuals
- Disaster Legal Services Training Manual
- Training manual by the ABA and FEMA on the FEMA/YLD disaster hotline partnership. June 2015.
- Iowa Legal Aid A web page of disaster resources published by Iowa Legal Aid.
- Social Media Disaster Toolkit for a Legal Non-Profit. This has been prepared for your use by the LawHelpNY.org. It is also available in an ebook version here.
- Tennessee Disaster Manual
By the Tennessee Bar Association Young Lawyers Division. A guide for volunteer attorneys providing legal assistance to victims of disasters. Updated September 2011.
- Surviving a Disaster: A Lawyer's Guide to Disaster Planning
Published by the ABA Committee on Disaster Response and Preparedness
- Providing Legal Assistance in the Aftermath of Disaster 2015
Released on Sep 28 2015 by the Practicing Law Institute
- NC Bar Association Disaster Legal Services Manual
Published by the Young Lawyer's Division Disaster Legal Services Committee
- Iowa State Bar Association Disaster Legal Assistance Manual from 2008.
Disaster Planning for Your Legal Aid Technology
Archived webinar by LSNTAP. June 2007.
- Florida Legal Assistance Disaster Manual
By the Florida Bar Foundation. Comprehensive disaster planning manual for a state legal services community, updated June 2014.
- Flood Proof- an app to clear title for those in Louisiana
- WEBINAR Registration: Trauma Stewardship: Beyond the Cliff, with Laura van Dernoot Lipsky - 02/27/2017 1:30 PM EST
See the TED Talk or read more here: http://traumastewardship.com/watch/#ted.
- Disaster Related Identity Theft Victimization and Fraud (a 90 minute webinar from the National Identity Theft Victims' Assistance Network) from July 15, 2013
- SNAP in the Aftermath of Disaster- Advocacy and Outreach Best Practices This is a webinar is cosponsored by Food Research and Action Center (FRAC) and AARP Foundation from July 18, 2013.
- Leveraging Social Media and SEO for Online Disaster Outreach. A social media toolkit for non profits to use in and during a disaster. From LawHelpNY.org. 2014
- Ten Trends in Online Disaster Outreach- a PowerPoint from a 2014 presentation by LawHelpNY about what they observed through their disaster online outreach, social media campaign and information about using tools in connection with social media.
- ABA-YLD FEMA Training 2014- this is the joint training for the ABA-YLD Disaster Legal Services District Directors.
- FEMA held a White house webinar July 29, 2014 showcasing disaster technology innovations of use to individuals.
- Disaster Legal Services in NY and NJ Post-Sandy : Collaboration and Communities- a presentation by Pro Bono Net Staff highlighting the legal response to Superstorm Sandy from the "Service After the Storm" event organized by AmeriCorps members and sponsoring organizations on August 8, 2014.
- Rising Tides Rising Costs- Flood Insurance and NYC's Affordability Crisis September 2014- a report from the Center for NYC Neighborhoods
- Views of Recovery- Ten Years After Katrina and Rita- a report from LSU on differing views on how the recovery is progressing at the ten year anniversary