Legal Help Do You Need Legal Help?
Professional Are You a Legal Aid Professional?
Attorney Are You an Attorney Who Can Help?
Hurricane Matthew Virginia
Hurricane Matthew Virginia
Hurricane Matthew devastated areas in Virginia from October 7 - 15, 2016. The President made a major disaster declaration for Florida on November 2, 2016.
For Virginia Hurricane Matthew (DR-4291), Individual and Household Assistance is available to those in Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk and Virginia Beach
Note: THE FEMA APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR HURRICANE MATTHEW is JANUARY 1, 2017. Apply to FEMA to trigger the SBA Disaster loan process. THE SBA APPLICATION DEADLINE IS ALSO JANUARY 1, 2017.
Key resources for those affected by Hurricane Matthew:
Virginia Legal Assistance Hotline: 800-552-7977
- The Virginia Office of Emergency Management has more information.
- You have 60 days from any flooding to file your Flood Insurance Proof of Loss.
- VALegalAid.org has information for people seeking help with many legal issues.
- SBA Disaster Loans are available for those who qualify.
- Free legal assistance available to hurricane survivors through a partnership among the among the Virginia State Bar Young Lawyers Conference, Legal Aid Society of Eastern Virginia, American Bar Association, and FEMA. Please see the press release for more information.
- Information to assist disaster survivors with general legal issues can be found by calling the state legal disaster hotline 1-800-552-7977 (toll-free) to request assistance.
- Virginia Hurricane Matthew (DR-4291)
- Hurricane Matthew Insurance Help - assistance from the nonprofit United Policyholders about Insurance Claims and recovery
- See the USDA Disaster page for Disaster SNAP info and other disaster programs from the USDA.
- If you lost your job due to the hurricanes and flooding, see here for Disaster Unemployment Information.
- Tax Relief for Victims of Hurricane Matthew in Virginia. Extensions have been granted for many filings.
- FEMA Disaster Recovery Center Locator
- American Red Cross Shelter Locator
- FEMA Disaster Reporter: view pictures of the disaster either in a list view or off a zoomable street level map.
Residents and businesses affected by Hurricanes Hermine and Matthew can apply for government disaster relief benefits online at http://www.disasterassistance.gov.
Individuals, including those who use 711 relay or VRS, can call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) while those who use TTY can call 1-800-462-7585. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. EDT seven days a week until further notice.
- If you need to appeal a FEMA denial on your own, please see here to get an interactive form to appeal and letter requesting a copy of your file.
- You can also find resources on this site under For People Who Need Help.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest on the News page.
Other helpful resources to help address legal needs resulting from this disaster:
- Help After a Disaster: FEMA's Guide for the Individual Applicant