Legal Help Do You Need Legal Help?
Professional Are You a Legal Aid Professional?
Attorney Are You an Attorney Who Can Help?
Georgia Hurricane Matthew
Georgia Hurricane Matthew
GEORGIA LAWYERS, WANT TO HELP DISASTER VICTIMS?? LOOK HERE.
Hurricane Matthew devastated areas in Georgia on October 4, through October 16, 2016. The President made a major disaster declaration for Georgia on October 8, 2016.
For Georgia Hurricane Matthew (DR-4284), Individual and Household Assistance is available to those in Bryan, Bulloch, Chatham, Effingham, Glynn, Liberty, Long, McIntosh and Wayne Counties.
Note: THE FEMA APPLICATION DEADLINE IS DECEMBER 7, 2016. Apply to FEMA to trigger the SBA Disaster loan process. THE SBA APPLICATION DEADLINE IS ALSO DECEMBER 7, 2016.
Key resources for those affected by the floods:
Georgia Legal Assistance Hotline: 1-866-584-8027 (toll-free) or (404) 527-8793 (local) between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday, to request assistance.
- The Georgia Office of Emergency Management has more information.
- You have 60 days from any flooding to file your Flood Insurance Proof of Loss.
- The offices of Georgia Legal Services and Atlanta Legal Aid Society are open to assist disaster victims and other low income individuals. They have a dedicated Hurricane Matthew page to provide additional information.
- GeorgiaLegalAid.org has a dedicated section with information for people seeking help with disaster recovery issues.
- SBA Disaster Loans are available for those who qualify.
- Free legal assistance available to hurricane survivors through a partnership among the American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, the Georgia Young Lawyers Division, Georgia Legal Services Program and Atlanta Legal Aid Society. Please see the press release for more information.
- Information to assist disaster survivors with general legal issues can be found by calling the state legal disaster hotline 1-866-584-8027 (toll-free) or (404) 527-8793 (local) between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday, to request assistance.
- Georgia Hurricane Matthew (DR-4284)
- Hurricane Matthew Insurance Help - assistance from the nonprofit United Policyholders about Insurance Claims and recovery
- Disaster Food Stamps may soon be available, but replacing lost food is possible now.
- See the USDA Disaster page for Disaster SNAP info and other disaster programs from the USDA.
- If you lost your job due to Matthew, see here for Disaster Unemployment Information.
- Tax Relief for Victims of Hurricane Matthew in Georgia. Extensions have been granted for many filings.
- FEMA Disaster Recovery Center Locator
- American Red Cross Shelter Locator
- FEMA Disaster Reporter: view pictures of the disaster either in a list view or off a zoomable street level map.
Residents and businesses affected by Hurricane Matthew can apply for government disaster relief benefits online at http://www.disasterassistance.gov.
THE DEADLINE TO APPLY TO FEMA IS DECEMBER 7, 2016. YOU MUST PUT IN YOUR SBA APPLICATION BY DECEMBER 7, 2016 TO RECEIVE ADDITIONAL ASSISTANCE.
Individuals, including those who use 711 relay or VRS, can call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) while those who use TTY can call 1-800-462-7585. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. EDT seven days a week until further notice.
- If you need to appeal a FEMA denial on your own, please see here to get an interactive form to appeal and letter requesting a copy of your file.
- You can also find resources on this site under For People Who Need Help.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest on the News page.
Other helpful resources to help address legal needs resulting from this disaster:
- Help After a Disaster: FEMA's Guide for the Individual Applicant