Legal Help Do You Need Legal Help?
Professional Are You a Legal Aid Professional?
Attorney Are You an Attorney Who Can Help?
California Wildfires 2015
California Wildfires 2015
The severe Valley and Butte Fires have devastated areas in California from September 9th, 2015. There was a disaster declaration on September 22 , 2015.
Individual and Household Assistance is available to those in Calavaras and Lake Counties.
Note: THE FEMA APPLICATION DEADLINE IS NOVEMBER 21, 2015. Apply to FEMA to trigger the SBA Disaster loan process. THE SBA APPLICATION DEADLINE IS ALSO NOVEMBER 21, 2015.
Key resources for those affected by the wildfires:
California Disaster Relief Hotline: 844-657-0479
- Free legal assistance available to storm survivors through a partnership between the California State Bar and its Young Lawyers Section, the American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, Bay Area Legal, Legal Services of Northern California and Northern California Lawyer Access. Please see the press release for more information.
- SBA Disaster Loans are available for those who qualify.
- Information to assist disaster survivors with general legal issues can be found by contacting or calling the state legal disaster hotline 844-657-0479.
- California Valley Fire (DR-4240)
- Look here for assistance from the nonprofit United Policyholders about Insurance Claims and recovery in California.
- Disaster Unemployment Benefits are available, even for self employed individuals.
- Tax Relief for Victims of the Valley and Butte Fires in California
- FEMA'S Disaster Recovery Center Locator
- American Red Cross Shelter Locator
- California Governor's Office of Emergency Services gives further information about this disaster and state programs available.
- FEMA Disaster Reporter: view pictures of the disaster either in a list view or off a zoomable street level map.
Residents and businesses affected by the California wildfires can apply for government disaster relief benefits online at http://www.disasterassistance.gov.
THE DEADLINE TO APPLY TO FEMA IS NOVEMBER 21 , 2015. YOU MUST PUT IN YOUR SBA APPLICATION BY NOVEMBER 21 , 2015 ALSO TO RECEIVE ADDITIONAL ASSISTANCE.
Individuals, including those who use 711 relay or VRS, can call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) while those who use TTY can call 1-800-462-7585. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. EDT seven days a week until further notice.
- If you need to appeal a FEMA denial on your own, please see here to get an interactive form to appeal and letter requesting a copy of your file.
- You can also find resources on this site under For People Who Need Help.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest on the News page.
Other helpful resources to help address legal needs resulting from this disaster:
- Help After a Disaster: FEMA's Guide for the Individual Applicant