Legal Help Do You Need Legal Help?
Professional Are You a Legal Aid Professional?
Attorney Are You an Attorney Who Can Help?
Alabama Storms and Tornadoes 2018
Alabama Storms and Tornadoes 2018
Storm and Tornadoes Help for People in Alabama
Disaster Legal Hotline: 1-800-354-6154
Storms and tornadoes struck Alabama on March 19 and March 20, 2018 and winds, storms and flooding affected various counties in the state. On April 27, 2018, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced that federal disaster aid has been made available to the State of Alabama to supplement state and local recovery efforts in the area affected by severe storms and tornadoes during this period.
This makes federal funding available to affected individuals in the state of Alabama. Assistance can include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses, unemployment assistance, and other programs to help individuals and business owners recover from the effects of the disaster. Individual assistance is available for affected people in the following areas:
- Calhoun County
- Cullman County
- Etowah County
For DR-4362, assistance for affected individuals and families is available and people are urged to apply through FEMA.
Severe Alabama Storms and Tornadoes Disaster Number: 4362
|Application for FEMA Assistance *Apply to FEMA to trigger the SBA Disaster Loan Process||June 25, 2018|
|Appeal Your FEMA Decision||Within 60 days of the date on the determination letter|
|Unemployment Benefits *To apply, visit the Alabama Department of Labor||June 5, 2018|
Key resources for those impacted by the Storms and Tornadoes
Government Disaster Relief Benefits
Residents and businesses affected by the storms can apply for government disaster relief benefits in several ways:
- Online at DisasterAssistance.gov
- On the FEMA Mobile App, or by
- Calling 800-621-3362 (FEMA). Applicants who use 711 or Video Relay Service may also call 800-621-3362. People who are deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech disability and use a TTY may call 800-462-7585. The toll-free numbers are open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET, seven days a week. Multilingual operators are available. Press 2 for Spanish and press 3 for other languages.
- Please watch for updates on FEMA's website.
- For official news and press releases related to these storms, please visit FEMA's News & Updates-Alabama Storms page.
- Note: Apply to FEMA to trigger the SBA Disaster loan process.
- A TOLL-FREE LEGAL AID HOTLINE is now available to survivors of Alabama’s recently declared disaster areas in Calhoun, Cullman and Etowah counties. The service, which allows callers to request the assistance of a lawyer to aid in disaster related matters, is a partnership between the American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, the Alabama Young Lawyers Division, Alabama Legal Services Program and Alabama Volunteer Lawyers Program.
- Survivors facing legal issues who are unable to afford a lawyer may call 1-800-354-6154 toll-free between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday, to request assistance. When connected to the hotline voicemail, callers should identify that they are seeking disaster-related legal assistance, brief details of the assistance needed and in which county they are located. Individuals who qualify for assistance will be matched with Alabama lawyers who have volunteered to provide free legal assistance. For the full press release, please click here.
- For legal assistance and information, please visit:
- AlabamaLegalHelp.org: A site that serves as a guide to free and low-cost civil legal aid, assistance & services in Alabama. You can get basic information here about your legal rights, learn where to go for legal aid and assistance, and find out about other community resources.
- Alabama State Bar, Volunteer Lawyers Program: The Alabama State Bar is committed to promoting public access to high quality legal services regardless of financial or other circumstances.
- ABA Disaster Legal Services Program
- Legal Services Alabama: LSA is the statewide provider of free Legal Aid in Alabama. Central Call Center 1-866-456-4995.
- Alabama Legal Answers
- If you need to appeal a FEMA denial on your own, please see here to get an interactive form to appeal and letter requesting a copy of your file.
- For Frequently Asked Questions about FEMA appeals, please click here.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest on the News page.
- Help After a Disaster: FEMA's Guide for the Individual Applicants
- You might get a call about applying for an SBA loan. Listen!
Other Resources That Can Help
- Alabama Emergency Management Agency
- The Disaster Distress Helpline (DDH) is the first national hotline dedicated to providing year-round disaster crisis counseling. This toll-free, multilingual, crisis support service is available 24/7 via telephone (1-800-985-5990) and SMS (text 'TalkWithUs' to 66746) to residents in the U.S. and its territories who are experiencing emotional distress related to natural or man-made disasters.
- FEMA Disaster Recovery Center Locator
- American Red Cross Shelter Locator
For recent news related to legal aid & Alabama's recovery please click here.