- In August 2021, Pro Bono Net, in partnership with the Practising Law Institute, Lone Star Legal Aid, and Texas RioGrande Legal Aid, co-organized a one-hour briefing on FEMA's COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Program and notable updates to FEMA's Individual Assistance Program & Policy Guide. This one-hour briefing will be available on-demand for one year at Practising Law Institute's website.
- 25 Pro Tips for Working with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA): COVID-19 Edition- In March 2021, the American Bar Association Disaster Legal Services Program, Equal Justice Works, Pro Bono Net, and Lone Star Legal Aid co-hosted this webinar, a renewed version of a best practices roundtable held in 2018 to support survivors affected by the 2017 major disasters. This program highlighted the strategies attorneys have used in responding to weather-related emergencies during the COVID-19 pandemic. This program was organized as part of the first-ever Disaster Resilience Awareness Month, an effort to increase visibility about the role of legal aid in disaster recovery and resilience, and share information on how to get involved in national disaster legal aid efforts. Please see here for the recording. For a PDF version of the summary, please click here.
- Days before COVID-19 was declared a national emergency, Lone Star Legal Aid and Pro Bono Net, in collaboration with the Disaster Legal Assistance Collaborative in California, and the Alameda County Bar Association and Legal Access Alameda, convened two national calls to discuss legal response strategies in the wake of the pandemic. We had legal aid and pro bono advocates join from across regions in the United States. The calls were chaired by Tiela Chalmers, co-chair of the Disaster Legal Assistance Collaborative in California, and CEO the Alameda County Bar Association and Legal Access Alameda. These calls were not recorded. We created a national listserv for COVID-19 legal response resources and a list of resources shared by others during the calls. You can find updates at www.disasterlegalaid.org/advocates/COVID-19. This Listserv's members include advocates from nonprofit legal aid organizations, bar associations, pro bono counsel from law firms and corporations, and legal advocacy nonprofits in the U.S. working to address issues around the pandemic. For California-specific efforts and resources, you can visit the statewide disaster legal services website HERE.
- The Disaster Recovery Reform Act of 2018: What Legal Aid Providers Should Know
- On October 5th, 2018, the Disaster Recovery Reform Act of 2018 was signed into law. The act contains over 50 provisions that amend the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act by requiring FEMA to change its policies and regulations. The goal of this webinar was to provide participants with an overview of changes to the Stafford Act that affect their representation of disaster survivors. Panelists covered changes related to housing, rental assistance, recoupments, duplication of benefits, and Community Development Block Grants.
To access the recording and materials, click HERE.
We launched a national Disaster Legal Aid Roundtable Series in June 2018 to discuss topics of cross-cutting interest to disaster legal aid practitioners across regions. To access roundtable recordings, please click below.
- November 29, 2018 | Disasters & Disability Inclusion - Recording and Additional Resources
- October 24, 2018 | Ready, Willing, & Able: Organizing the Legal Community's Response to Disasters - Recording and Presentation
- September 27, 2018 | The Disaster Never Seems to End: Insurance Issues Post-Disaster - Recording and Materials
- August 30, 2018 | Disaster Recovery and Recoupments - Recording and Materials
- July 26, 2018 | Introduction to Federal Disaster Benefits and the ABA-YLD Disaster Legal Services Program - Recording and Presentation
- June 28, 2018 | 5+ Pro Tips for Working with FEMA: Lessons Learned That Work - Recording | 25 Pro Tips for Working with FEMA (Summary)