To join our network of over 600 advocates, please click the "Join Us" button above or visit https://www.disasterlegalaid.org/advocates/join/.
2021 Disaster Resilience Awareness Month - Equal Justice Works, American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, American Red Cross, and the National Disaster Legal Aid Resource Center Team Up to Launch First-ever Disaster Resilience Awareness Month. Learn more here. To see the recording for the 25 Pro Tips for Working with FEMA: COVID-19 Edition webinar, please click here and for a summary of the pro tips, please click here.
The National Low Income Housing Coalition publishes Challenges, Best Practices, and Policy Recommendations to Improve FEMA Programs to House People Experiencing Homelessness During. You can download the report by clicking here.
The ABA Standing Committee on Disaster Response and Preparedness organized a series of webinars for National Preparedness Month. You can watch the Virtual Disaster Symposium webinar recordings here.
Providing Legal Assistance in the Aftermath of Disaster by the Practising Law Institute - This training enables attorneys to help serve as LEGAL FIRST RESPONDERS™ and will prepare attorneys to participate in disaster legal services pro bono efforts, including brief phone assistance, providing legal information and referral, in person assistance at know-your-rights workshops, community forums and legal aid clinics (general or subject-specific), and legal representation (limited and full scope). You can access the program on-demand HERE.
- COVID-19 Legal Response: For advocates interested in sharing information, resources and strategies, please visit our COVID-19 Legal Response page.
- Amid COVID-19, ABA and Paladin launch disaster relief pro bono portal to provide free legal services
- Figuring Out FEMA: A Trauma-informed Resource for Disaster Survivors - Download your free copy of Figuring Out FEMA, a new pocket-sized, trauma-informed visual resource for people affected by natural disasters.
- Touro Law Review publishes its Disaster Relief Symposium Issue.
- Individual Assistance Program and Policy Guide (IAPPG)
- 2021 NATIONAL VOAD CONFERENCE REGISTRATION IS OPEN! May 18-20!, n/a, May 18 - May 20
- Don't miss this inaugural conference about Resiliency!, n/a, May 19
- Fire Aware. Fire Prepared. Wildfire Wednesdays, n/a, May 19
- Protecting Older Adults From Disaster Scams, n/a, May 21
- Virtual Northwest Citizen Corps Leadership Summit, n/a, May 21
- Monthly DUG Call, Tallahassee, May 24
- Fire Aware. Fire Prepared. Wildfire Wednesdays, n/a, Jun 2
- Fire Aware. Fire Prepared. Wildfire Wednesdays, n/a, Jun 16
- Monthly DUG Call, Tallahassee, Jun 28
- Tenant Talk Live, n/a, Jul 5
- Monthly DUG Call, Tallahassee, Jul 26
- Tenant Talk Live, n/a, Aug 2
- Monthly DUG Call, Tallahassee, Aug 23
- Tenant Talk Live, n/a, Sep 6
- Monthly DUG Call, Tallahassee, Sep 27
- View more
You put in the hours to become a legal expert. Can communities affected by natural disasters count on your skills? Visit www.disasterlegalaid.org/get-started to learn more.
New Remote Legal Support Guide
Pro Bono Net, the Immigration Advocates Network, and partners release the Remote Legal Support Guide: A Best Practices Manual for Nonprofit and Pro Bono Innovation
The Remote Legal Support Guide: A Best Practices Manual for Nonprofit and Pro Bono Innovation is a collaborative text by over 10 organizations that pools expert resources and experience and explores different ways to leverage technology and share strategies that increase rural and underserved communities' access to justice. The Guide and more background on this initiative is available here. We hope this resource is helpful for any programs considering shifting to remote support to help keep staff, clients and communities healthy during the COVID-19 pandemic.