The National Low Income Housing Coalition publishes Challenges, Best Practices, and Policy Recommendations to Improve FEMA Programs to House People Experiencing Homelessness During. You can download the report by clicking here.
The ABA Standing Committee on Disaster Response and Preparedness put on a series of webinars for National Preparedness Month. You can watch the Virtual Disaster Symposium webinar recordings here.
Providing Legal Assistance in the Aftermath of Disaster by the Practising Law Institute - This training enables attorneys to help serve as LEGAL FIRST RESPONDERS™ and will prepare attorneys to participate in disaster legal services pro bono efforts, including brief phone assistance, providing legal information and referral, in person assistance at know-your-rights workshops, community forums and legal aid clinics (general or subject-specific), and legal representation (limited and full scope). You can access the program on-demand HERE.
- COVID-19 Legal Response: For advocates interested in sharing information, resources and strategies, please visit our COVID-19 Legal Response page.
- Amid COVID-19, ABA and Paladin launch disaster relief pro bono portal to provide free legal services
- Figuring Out FEMA: A Trauma-informed Resource for Disaster Survivors - Download your free copy of Figuring Out FEMA, a new pocket-sized, trauma-informed visual resource for people affected by natural disasters.
- Touro Law Review publishes its Disaster Relief Symposium Issue.
- Individual Assistance Program and Policy Guide (IAPPG)
- ConsumerAction Disaster Preparedness And Recovery Webinar, n/a, Dec 8
- Disaster Preparation for Small Business, n/a, Dec 8
- Influenza Vaccination During COVID-19, n/a, Dec 9
- Dialysis and Disasters: how to plan, prepare and respond, n/a, Dec 10
- Tips and Ethical Considerations for Practicing Law in the Time of Covid, n/a, Dec 10
- Unexpected Lessons in M&A: Key Takeaways from 2020 & Predictions for 2021, n/a, Dec 14
- Assistance Animals and Pets 101 Part I, n/a, Dec 15
- Assistance Animals and Pets 101 Part II, n/a, Dec 16
- Vacunación contra la gripe durante el COVID-19, n/a, Dec 16
- Dialysis and Disasters: how to plan, prepare and respond )Spanish), n/a, Dec 17
You put in the hours to become a legal expert. Can communities affected by natural disasters count on your skills? Visit www.disasterlegalaid.org/get-started to learn more.
New Remote Legal Support Guide
Pro Bono Net, the Immigration Advocates Network, and partners release the Remote Legal Support Guide: A Best Practices Manual for Nonprofit and Pro Bono Innovation
The Remote Legal Support Guide: A Best Practices Manual for Nonprofit and Pro Bono Innovation is a collaborative text by over 10 organizations that pools expert resources and experience and explores different ways to leverage technology and share strategies that increase rural and underserved communities' access to justice. The Guide and more background on this initiative is available here. We hope this resource is helpful for any programs considering shifting to remote support to help keep staff, clients and communities healthy during the COVID-19 pandemic.