Welcome to the National Disaster Legal Aid website!
Alert! Hurricane Sandy Resources
For Legal Help: In NJ, please call 1-88-541-1900. In CT, please call 1-866-864-4464. Visit www.LawHelp.org to find local legal services organizations that might be able to help and information about your rights. LawHelp/NY also maintains a calendar of free disaster legal aid clinics in the New York City area.
To apply for FEMA benefits, go to www.disasterassistance.gov.
To appeal a FEMA decision or request a FEMA file, go to femaappeals.org.
Other helpful resources for victims and their legal advocates can be found on our Hurricane Sandy page.
How This Website Can Help You
Persons affected by a disaster who are looking for legal assistance and resources, visit For People Who Need Help to find helpful legal resources for dealing with the aftermath of a disaster.
Attorneys and advocates who are helping people in the aftermath of a disaster, visit For Legal Aid Attorneys.
If you are here on behalf of a LSC-funded program, visit LSC Program Specific Information.
Attorneys who want to help will find helpful information about volunteering and donating to legal aid programs in need under For Pro Bono Volunteers.
- ABA offers association disaster legal resources , May 26
- Oklahoma Price Gouging: State AG Says Be Careful , May 23
- HUD granting foreclosure protection for OK storm victims , May 22
- Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters , May 20
- State Offers Free Mediation of Sandy Insurance Claims , Feb 28
- Freddie Mac Revamps Insurance Procedures for Hurricane Sandy Borrowers , Feb 22
- Press Release: Freddie Mac Extends Evictions, Foreclosure Suspension in Hurricane Sandy Major Disaster Areas , Jan 31
- Press Release: A.G. Schneiderman Launches Post-Sandy Insurance Outreach and Advocacy Program to Assist Struggling Homeowners , Jan 30
- Superstorm Sandy - Resources on Long Island, NY , Jan 9
- Sandy-Struck Homeowners Face Delay in Cashing Insurance Checks , Jan 6
- View more
Our Goals for this Website
- To serve as a centralized national resource for legal aid, pro bono and criminal defender attorneys across the country on legal issues related to all types of disasters
- To recruit and help mobilize pro bono attorneys in the aftermath of a disaster
- To provide accurate and timely information on legal issues related to disasters to the low and moderate income public
Please let us know how we are doing. Send your feedback and suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
New York Dept of Financial Services:
New Jersey Hotline:
- Legal Services of New Jersey Sandy Hotline: 1-888-222-5765
Monday - Friday, 8 am to 5:30 pm
- Insurance questions: 1-866-209-5099
Recent State Disasters
Illinois Hotline: 855-875-3362
Illinois Severe Storms, Straight-line Winds, and Flooding
FEMA Disaster Recovery Center Locator
Fox Valley Press Release
Oklahoma Disaster Hotline:
More Information on the Oklahoma tornadoes may be found here.